Sunday, March 22, 2009

XL Memories I: Kung-Fu Ganjeshwarnath...

An XL superjunior, known to me only as "Bitchy Offliner" suggested that writing about Sundays was toooooo boring.

"Pray expound", he beseeched; "On thy wealth of experiences at XLRI; The rich cultural heritage & legacy which you left behind"

As always, I fell to the occassion.

I wish I had something glamourous to write about. Perhaps something like this:\

A teetotaller for 2 years
Didn't attend a single wet night
Passed out as the Batch Topper
Got drunk in the final convocation wetnight
Danced as he had never danced before
Proposed to the love of his life at Dimna, as the sun rose
She look'd down to blush, and she look'd up to sigh
With a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye

Naaaah.

Instead, I will write about my 1st year XL room-mate, Aditya Jhawar and an incident which still brings a smile to my face.

It was in the sultry summer days (July, perhaps). I was sitting quietly in the room, doing some assignment. Jhawar had gone for a bath. The second time that day. My God. Even once was a drag for me.

After he came back, I heard a buzzing sound in the room. Made me feel really queasy. I look all around, petrified and then I SAW.

The most gigantic insect I had ever seen. It menacingly circled over my head; I almost shrieked. A fresher who has live all his life in a metro is not the most formidable of opponents for a creature like that.

My face was convulsed. Aditya couldn't figure out what was wrong. He just saw my dazed countenance and was mystified. I pointed a trembling finger toward the apparition and managed to sputter out "udhar dekh".

Aditya spun around. He sized up his adversary. They circled each other for quite some time. Aditya was galvanised steel. He had turned into a leader of men. It was him and the Insect. A fight to the finish. Winner take all. No pity. No mercy. No regret.

Aditya took out his Brahmastra - the towel which he had just thrown onto his bed. He began wielding it like a champion of champions, cutting currents of air with the sheer impact. His eyes never wavered. It was death to the man that lost his nerve.

The Insect darted towards him. A brutal frontal assault. Aditya spun around, unperturbed. His towel was still drawn at the ready. Every muscle tense. Waiting for the right moment.

The Insect swerved & went to the rear. It caught him by surprise. It was a split-second. I shouted at precisely the time when it was about to deliver a killing blow, Aditya just turning around, towel in hand...

I opened my eyes. Aditya was standing, beaming. The Insect was nowhere to be seen.

Kung-Fu Ganjeshwarnath had vanquished the oppressor. The world was at peace.

8 comments:

  1. This achievement should have been recorded as a CV point.. I'm sure this was the 'spike' that McK was looking for :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guud start mate.. But who's Aditya ??! Think v know him better as Jhavar baba/ganjesh/Double.. :D XL memories wont sound the same if u were to b so polite n call ppl by their "real names" !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Good one...inspires visualization! I could almost hear the Mahabharata background sounds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahaha..good one...well described :)
    it is good to have verbal masters like you join the bandwagon of bloggers... keep your posts as interesting as yoru status messages :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super post!!! great start.. it was a real fight to the finish..
    the bitchy offliner is going to get a lot more entries out of you.. nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babua...Anonymously kaahe post karte ho???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant narrative...appreciate ur writing style...bravo...I would be a regular visitor provided u keep it going

    ReplyDelete